After getting home late from a seminar at BarCamp the previous day, I had very little motivation to get up early and race my butt off. Surprisingly, I was up around 7am and feeling almost awake by 8. That must have meant I was still a little hungover from last nights fun... I made myself some coffee, got suited up, loaded up the bike & gear and headed over for race #2 of the CBC Cyclocross series...I was certainly not expecting to be able to perform today like I did last week, but curious to see if my hectic week really does play a factor on my performance level. In other words, I was experimenting on myself. I already knew the expected outcome, I just wanted to verify it. Verification complete. Without an proper night's sleep and a generous amount of mental and physical preparation, I am a sluggish toad.
The weather was perfect. No extra layers were needed...The course was tough and very different from last week. It would have definitely been in a mountain bikers favor if I had selected the proper gear and had enough strength to turn the pedals...I ran a 42x12 and really suffered right from the start: Mental preparation error: make sure you can race with the gear you chose...There was inclined forest loam singletrack, layered hillclimbs and sandpit turn traps. It was gonna be a tough day for sure.
Starting line: the man said go and I couldn't. The entire pack took off and I sat there trying to get my pedals turning for what seemed like forever. As I finally got things moving, I snapped into position in the back of the lead pack. Knowing after only 1-2 laps that I would not be able to hold this pace, I totally backed off and just let people fly by for a while just pedaling along deciding if I should just quit. I found my body really fighting me to stay moving and my legs were like two slabs of rock. I kept pedaling along waiting to get past this wall and hope the blast came back soon. It came back, but a little too late. 35 minutes in, I finally started to pick things up and felt a little better flowing along, but still hating my gear selection. I dealt with the slow pedaling and started being more efficient in use of my brake as I only had a front brake on the bike because my rear one was at home in pieces. I then picked up the riders I had targeted to let slip by and placed decent gap between us and I started trying to level my pace to survive the remaining 10 minutes. Then my chain flew off and I had to stop and fix it. 4 riders flew by again and once again I jumped on and took off after them. I don't know how I was able to chase them down, but I picked off 3 of them once again and just could not catch the remaining rider in a "Trek" jersey riding just ahead of me...defeated, spent, hungover.
I went out there today to really test myself against the factors of life. I realized that just because life hands you a hectic week, you shouldn't hide inside on the weekends as a result. Challenge yourself to the fullest everytime you can. I may have lost this race on several levels, but I gained some valuable keys to winning races in my future where I stand a better chance.
Good stuff CBC! Thanks for the fun!
Congratulations to Nathan Smith and David Hall for placing top 2 in Cat 1 Mens!
2010 Events Schedule
- Nov 7: Swank 65 (Pisgah)
- Sep 18: Pedaling For Peanuts (TEAM) (6th place)
- Sep 14-18: Pisgah Stage Race (CANCELLED)
- July 25: ORAMM (Pisgah) (40 miles+ DNF)
- May 23: Catawba Riverfront Classic XC(4th SS)
- May 8: 6 Hour Grind on the Greenway (12th Mens Open)
- May 1: Tour de Cure (Little Mountain, SC) (CANCELLED)
- Apr 3: 6 Hours of Warrior Creek (12th Place SS)
- Mar 28: After Bridge Run Ride (82miles 3:58)
- Mar 27: Cooper River Bridge Run (58:00)
- Mar 6: Snake Creek Gap Time Trial#3 (4hrs 26min SS)
- Feb 20: 12 Hours of Santos (Ocala Florida) (5th Place SS)
- Feb 6: Snake Creek Gap Time Trial#2 (5hrs 11mins SS)
2009 Events Schedule
- Nov 8: Swank 65 (87th 5:46:06)
- Oct 10:Dirty Spokes 12hrs of Unicoi
- Sep 6: Shenandoah 100(cancelled)
- Aug 20: Daniel Island Twilight Fun Run 5K Series #4 (32:43)
- Aug 15: Fools Gold 100 (50mile-10th SS- 5:43:00)
- Aug 6: Daniel Island Twilight Fun Run 5K Series #3 (27:45)
- Jul 26: Off Road Assault on Mt Mitchell (7:49:00)
- Jul 23: Daniel Island Twilight Fun Run 5K Series #2 (skipped)
- Jul 9: Daniel Island Twilight Fun Run 5K Series #1 (22:00:00)
- Jun 20: Cowbell Challenge Marathon (8th SS)
- Jun 13: Tour de Cure Century (4hrs:45mins)
- Jun 7: Catawba Riverfront Classic (3rd SS)
- Apr 25: Cohutta 100 (cancelled)
- Apr 5: After Bridge Run Ride Century (cancelled)
- Apr 4: Charleston Bridge Run 10k (52:59)
- Feb 15:Myrtle Beach Marathon Bike Ride 63 miles (28th)
- Feb 21: 6 Hours of Santos (35th-Overall, ?? SingleSpeed)